The first country profiles will be available to you in this section of the Yearbook Online Service by mid-January 2016. The section will be completed by mid-Mach 2016. This section is new to the 2015-edition not available for the Yearbook Online Service 2014.
The country profile section of the Yearbook Online Service follows a geographic approach and offers you a country by country view of the audiovisual sector in 40 countries. The country profiles provide for each country (when data are available, which is unfortunately not always the case):
- an introductory text describing the principal characteristics of the national television markets and their recent developments, as well as, in the case of the large countries, the development of the cinema market;
- data on the household penetration rate for audiovisual equipment and how audiovisual services are received, as well as data on individual devices (smartphones, tablets and advanced games consoles)
- data on the breakdown of adspend between the different types of media;
- data on the main national players (main distributors of audiovisual services, principal broadcasters by consolidated audience market share);
- consolidated data on the funding of the public audiovisual media sector;
- data on the number of audiovisual services (television services, on-demand audiovisual services, number of services offered by the main distribution platforms);
- data on market trends (changes in reception equipment penetration, growth of consumers’ pay-TV expenditure, number of households accessing main multichannel platforms, broadcasting companies’ gross revenues);
- data on television audience market shares;
- data on the viewing of online video services on fixed-line internet ;
- data on the supply and consumption of catch-up TV and video-on-demand services ;
- data on the cinema market (exhibition infrastructure, number of films produced, entries and box office receipts, market share according to film origin and by distributor);
- data on the domestic video market (equipment penetration, figures for retail sales and DVD and Blu-ray disc rentals, number of transactions, retail prices).
This Key Trends section of the Yearbook Online Service is available as a standalone publication and can be purchased independently from the Yearbook Online Service. This publication will be available in electronic form (PDF) and as a printed booklet by March 2016. Preorders of this publication can be placed by January 2016 through the Observatory shop.